We can help you treat your gut pain
Digestive problems can broadly be described as poor functioning of the organs of the digestive tract including the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, gallbladder or colon.
This results in impaired digestive function, poor food and nutrient absorption and the occurrence of several annoying and uncomfortable symptoms of pain or discomfort commonly referred to as indigestion.
The most common digestive issues are reflux, constipation or diarrhea.
However, many serious diseases are caused by a faulty digestive tract and digestion problems. These include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gastric or duodenal ulcers, gastritis, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
What Causes Digestive Problems?
- Stress of all kinds can contribute to digestive troubles.
- Poor dietary habits such as excessive processed food consumption, low fibre diets, not enough fruit and vegetables in the diet, allergies to foods such as wheat and dairy, junk foods high in refined carbohydrate, sugar and fat.
- Antibiotics which kill not only the pathogenic bacteria they were designed to kill, but also the naturally occurring good bacteria required for digestion. This allows yeasts, fungi and parasites to grow in the space left. These can damage the gut wall, create toxins and affect the immune system.
- Eating habits such as fast eating and eating on the run. Foods inadequately chewed are harder for the body to digest and can result in gas, bloating and indigestion.
- Certain medications can directly irritate the lining of the stomach impairing digestion and even cause infection to develop.
- Environmental toxins and can all contribute to digestive problems.
- Travelling and eating contaminated food increases our chances of parasitic infections and toxic bowel conditions.
Tests to Find the Cause of Your Digestive Problem
Our naturopaths use a comprehensive range of testing procedures to help us pinpoint the exact area giving you digestive troubles. These tests check your digestive enzyme status, check for gastrointestinal infections and beneficial bacteria levels.
Breath tests reveal fructose malabsorption or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. We check for coeliac disease or lactose intolerance, so we can address these. Food allergy testing will reveal a range of problem foods.
Live blood analysis can further reveal the effects on your liver, any nutrititional deficiencies resulting from poor digestion and absorption such as antioxidants, B12, folic acid, or iron.
How We Treat Your Digestive Problems
Our experienced naturopaths aim to get you to feel comfortable in the shortest time possible. The results of your tests mean that we can offer you targeted herbal and nutritional treatments as well as dietary and lifestyle advice which quickly help relieve digestive problems and symptoms such as reflux, bloating, abdominal pain, flatulence, diarrhoea and constipation.
Any infections are treated and inflammation reduced.
Once you are better, you are shown how to maintain efficient digestion for life.