What are Allergies?
Allergies occur when the body’s immune system responds inappropriately to harmless substances like dust, pollen, wheat or dairy.
When will I need Allergy Testing?
You are advised to undertake food allergy testing when you have a range of unexplained symptoms which may well be due to a food intolerance. This way you know which foods to avoid. When your experienced naturopath suspects the possibility of a chemical or airborne allergy, she may recommend allergy testing for these.
Why do I suddenly have an Allergy to a food or airborne substance?
It is not fully understood why our bodies become allergic, but there are numerous explanations as to why the incidence of allergy continues to grow at an alarming rate. The following lifestyle and dietary factors may play an important role in instigating allergies:
- Reduced exposure to childhood infections (The hygiene hypothesis);
- Increased stress;
- Poor digestive function;
- Imbalances in gut micro flora;
- Nutrient poor diets;
- Exposure to environmental pollutants and toxins;
- Long-term use of pharmaceutical drugs.
What are the Symptoms of Allergies?
Food allergies can cause a wide range of symptoms. Many other symptoms can also be caused by allergies to chemicals and airborne substances. Some common symptoms people may develop include:
- Digestive symptoms: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), reflux, bloating, flatulence, diarrhoea, abdominal cramping, constipation and nausea.
- Respiratory symptoms: Hay fever, sinusitis and asthma
- Skin: Eczema, dermatitis and hives
- Cognitive and Psychological symptoms: Attention deficit disorder (ADD), hyperactivity, low energy, chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, migraines, depression and anxiety.
- Lowered Immunity
- Female reproductive issues
How We Treat Allergies
We develop an individualised treatment plan to treat you holistically, addressing the cause of your allergies as well as alleviating symptoms. Herbs, nutritional medicine, homeopathic remedies, lifestyle and dietary advice, positive association and rebalancing techniques are all used to help treat allergies.
Allergies can very debilitating, negatively affecting the quality of a person’s life. Now, more then ever is the time for safe, non-evasive and effective treatment, ideal for people of all ages including infants and children.